2014年12月24日 星期三

week6 - Canadian Parliament. Ottawa. shooting. gunman

Footage shows man’s parliament attack

Sat, Oct 25, 2014 
Canadian police have released dramatic surveillance footage showing the moment a gunman suspected of planning to travel to Syria to fight alongside Islamic militants breached security at parliament after shooting dead a soldier.
The footage emerged on Thursday as officials said they had found no evidence of a wider plot following another deadly attack on Monday — also by a young Canadian convert to Islam who had sought to leave for Syria.
Canadian authorities were scrambling to probe the background of the young men, the first of whom ran his car over a soldier, killing him, and another who shot a soldier at a war memorial before storming parliament and being gunned down.
“These are difficult threats to detect,” Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson said. “There is no way of knowing where or when such an attack could take place.”
Paulson said the gunman in Wednesday’s attack on parliament, identified as 32-year-old Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, had been in Ottawa applying for a passport to travel to war-torn Syria.
It remained unclear whether Zehaf-Bibeau “received any support in the planning of his attack,” he added.
His comments came as video surveillance footage showed how the gunman took less than four minutes to gun down army reservist Corporal Nathan Cirillo and make his way into parliament, where he exchanged fire with police and parliamentary security.
In the House of Commons on Thursday, members applauded Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers, who fired the shot that stopped Zehaf-Bibeau.
Vickers, a veteran of the Royal Canadian Mountain Police appointed to lead the parliamentary security team and wield the ceremonial mace, has become an inspiration to Canadians struggling to comprehend how two of their countrymen could turn against their homeland.
“The objective of these attacks was to instill fear and panic in our country and to interrupt the business of government,” Prime Minister Stephen Harper told the chamber as business resumed. “Well, members, as I said yesterday, Canadians will not be intimidated. We will be vigilant but we will not run scared.”
“We will be prudent, but we will not panic and as for the business of government, well, here we are, in our seats, in our chamber in the very heart of our democracy and our work,” he added.
Harper then crossed the floor to shake Vickers’ hand and to hug opposition leaders.
Wednesday’s attack on parliament came two days after 25-year-old Martin Couture-Rouleau ran over two soldiers in a Quebec parking lot, killing one of them, before being shot dead by police.
Both assailants had sought to travel to Syria where they might have joined Islamist extremists waging war abroad, officials have said.
Police chief Paulson insisted that Zehaf-Bibeau acted alone and investigators have so far not uncovered any connection between the two attackers.
“Our investigation has not revealed any link between Zehaf-Bibeau and Martin Couture-Rouleau,” Paulson told reporters.
Canada has never before been hit by Muslim militant violence, but it has been threatened in militant broadcasts over its role in US-led air strikes in Iraq targeting the Islamic State (IS), formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
Some Canadians are thought to have traveled to the Middle East to join the group, and others are thought to have developed radical ideas at home, living among Canada’s Muslim minority.
Harper on Thursday placed a bouquet of flowers at the war memorial in the Canadian capital to honor Cirillo, an unarmed soldier on ceremonial guard at a war memorial on Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa.
A large crowd had gathered at the site, still cordoned off with yellow police ribbon, to pay their respects.
Canada’s Muslim community is nervous that the attacks will stir animosity against it, and its leaders were quick to denounce the violence and vow to keep a closer eye on troubled believers.
Imam Sikander Hasni of the Kanata association, who works at the capital’s mosque, said he and his colleagues had worked closely with police and had tipped them off to an earlier plot.
“Something needs to be done, but at the same time, I think there’s a realization that sometimes there is not very much that can be done,” he said.
Structure of the Lead
Who - A gunman suspected of planning to travel to Syria to fight alongside Islamic militants
Where - At parliament
When - Not given
What - Shoot dead a soldier
Why - Not given
How - Not given
Keywords
surveillance footage 監控錄像
breached security 繞過安檢
scramble 爭奪
storm 強攻
instill 灌輸
assailants 襲擊者
cordoned off 封鎖
denounce 聲討
tipped off 通風報信

2014年12月17日 星期三

week5 - Japan volcano eruption Mount Ontake

Volcanic eruption strands 250 in Japan

Sun, Sep 28, 2014
A Japanese volcano erupted yesterday, spewing ash and small rocks into the air and leaving seven people unconscious, eight seriously injured and more than 250 stranded on the mountain, officials and media said.
A thick, rolling, gray cloud of ash rose into the sky above Mount Ontake close to where TV footage showed hikers taking pictures. Trekkers and residents were warned of falling rock and ash within a 4km radius.
“It was like thunder,” a woman told broadcaster NHK of the first eruption at the volcano in seven years. “I heard ‘boom, boom,’ then everything went dark.”
Japan’s Meteorological Agency said the volcano, which straddles Nagano and Gifu prefectures 200km west of Tokyo, erupted just before midday and sent ash pouring down the mountain’s south slope for more than 3km.
There was no sign of lava from the TV footage.
The eruption forced aircraft to divert their routes, but officials at Tokyo’s Haneda airport and Japan Airlines said there were no disruptions to flights in and out of the capital.
NHK quoted a Nagano prefectural official as telling a government meeting that seven people were unconscious and eight others seriously wounded.
Police said that more than 250 hikers were stranded on the mountain, which is 3,067m high and last erupted in 2007.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who returned from the US yesterday, said he had issued instructions to mobilize the military to help in the rescue effort.
“Nearly 200 people are in the process of descending the mountain, but we are still trying to figure out details. I instructed to do all we can to rescue the people affected and secure the safety of the trekkers,” Abe told reporters.
Nagano police sent a team of 80 to the mountain to assist the climbers who were making their way down, while Kiso Prefectural Hospital, near the mountain, said it had dispatched a medical emergency team.
“We expect a lot of injured people so we are now getting ready for their arrival,” an official at the hospital said.
More than five hours after the initial eruption, the thick ash cloud showed no signs of abating, NHK TV showed.
“It’s all white outside, looks like it has snowed. There is very bad visibility and we can’t see the top of the mountain,” Mari Tezuka, who works at a mountain hut for trekkers, told reporters. “All we can do now is shut up the hut and then we are planning on coming down.”
Structure of the Lead
Who - A Japanese volcano
Where - In Japan
When - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014
What - A Japanese volcano erupted
Why - Not given 
How - Not given

Keywords
erupt 爆發
spew 噴
unconscious 昏迷
slope 坡
lava 岩漿
dispatch 派遣
abating 減弱

2014年12月10日 星期三

week 5-Ebola

No US Ebola warning, CDC says

2014-10-02  03:00
The Centers for Disease Control CDC yesterday said that it currently does not plan to raise the travel warning for the US, which saw its first imported case of Ebola confirmed on Tuesday.
“Judging from the quality and standards of the US’ public health and medical systems, the centers do not see the need to raise the travel notice for the country at the moment,” CDC Deputy Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩) said.
Chou said that the infected patient has been kept in isolation and the possibility of the highly contagious disease spreading across the US seems rather low, adding that the centers would only consider issuing a travel warning if US-based Taiwanese or Taiwanese visitors to the country were at risk of contracting Ebola.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the patient was confirmed to have Ebola through laboratory tests after he traveled to Dallas, Texas, from Liberia, where an outbreak of the virus has killed about 1,830 people.
The person developed symptoms about four days after arriving in the US on Sept. 20, before seeking medical care at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas on Friday last week and being admitted on Sunday.
The US agency does not advise people on the same flight as the ill person to undergo monitoring, as Ebola is only contagious when an infected person is exhibiting active symptoms.
The WHO statistics show that as of Monday, a total of 6,572 cases of Ebola have been reported, including 3,459 in Liberia, 2,021 in Sierra Leone, 1,071 in Guinea, 20 in Nigeria and one in Senegal.

In response to the quickly spreading outbreak, Taiwan’s CDC set up an emergency task force on Aug. 8. It has also issued a level-3 warning against travel to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, as well as a level-2 alert for Nigeria.

Structure of the Lead
Who -The Centers for Disease Control CDC
Where-Not given
When -2014-10-01
What - It currently does not plan to raise the travel warning for the US, which saw its first imported case of Ebola confirmed on Tuesday.
Why - Judging from the quality and standards of the US’ public health and medical systems, the centers do not see the need to raise the travel notice for the country at the moment
How - Not given
Keywords
confirm 證實
raise 提出
infect 感染
contagious 傳染
contract 感染
outbreak 爆發
symptoms 症狀